For hand-picked memories that last a lifetime, now’s the time to visit Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City, Nebraska. Whether you pick apples in the orchard, sip cider pressed on-site, or snack on a hand-dipped caramel apple, you’ll find classic fall season experiences all around this 260-acre property.
All Fall Season at Arbor Day Farm
- Pick your own apples in the orchard. See when your favorite varieties document are at the peak of freshness.
- Shop for pre-picked apples by the bag or the bushel at the Apple House Market.
- Savor the season’s best flavors: apple pies, caramel apples, apple cider, and more.
- Taste the apples of yesteryear in the Preservation Orchard—65 varieties of heirloom apples no longer available in stores.
- Zigzag your way through the corn maze.
- Choose the perfect pumpkin from the patch.
- Climb aboard the Discovery Ride for a journey into the orchards or a free hayrack ride for general Arbor Day Farm transportation.
This and so much more is waiting for you to explore. Find a complete list of fall season events on our Events Calendar.
Explore The Preservation Orchard
A visit to Arbor Day Farm this time of year offers you the rare opportunity to explore the Preservation Orchard — a collection of 65 apple varieties no longer commercially available. Heirloom apple tasting is available on fall weekends, as Nature Interpreters first show-and-tell about the Preservation Orchard itself, then slice and serve the rare fruits of its branches.
A few antique apple varieties worth noting:
- Claygate Pearmain: common in Victorian-era gardens, this heirloom apple has a nutty aroma and a potato-like appearance.
- Kandil Sinap: tall and cylindrical, this vintage apple originated in Turkey in the early 1800s. Crisp and juicy with a sweet and sour flavor.
- Arkansas Black — a medium-sized apple from the 1840s. Glossy, dark red skin almost turns black when stored.
Arbor Day Farm’s Preservation Orchard is one of just a handful of orchards in the United States where these rare heirloom apple varieties can still be found. Access to all of Arbor Day Farm’s orchards is included with regular Tree Adventure admission.
Download the Fall 2015 Event Schedule document
Your guide to fall season fun at Arbor Day Farm
Dates of Interest This Fall Season
date Now Open for the Season You-pick apple orchards; or shop the Apple House Market for pre-picked apples from our orchards.
date September 18–20 Applejack Festival - Download the PDF schedule
date October 3–4 Tree climbing at the Tree Adventure
date October 11 Oktoberfest Celebration at Arbor Day Farm Historic Barns
date October 17 Scout Day at the Tree Adventure
date October 24–25 No-Scare Halloween Weekend at the Tree Adventure and Arbor Lodge State Historical Park