For hand-picked memories that last a lifetime, now's the time to visit Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City, Nebraska. Whether you pick apples in the orchard, sip cider pressed on-site, or snack on a hand-dipped caramel apple, you'll find classic fall season experiences all around this 260-acre property.
All Fall Season at Arbor Day Farm
- Pick your own apples in the orchard. See when your favorite varieties document are at the peak of freshness.
- Shop for pre-picked apples by the bag or the bushel at the Apple House Market.
- Savor the season's best flavors: apple pies, hand-dipped caramel apples, apple cider, and more.
- Taste the apples of yesteryear in the Preservation Orchard---several varieties of heirloom apples no longer available in stores.
- Zigzag your way through the corn maze.
- Choose the perfect pumpkin from the patch.
- Climb aboard the Discovery Ride for a journey into the orchards or a free hayrack ride for general Arbor Day Farm transportation.
This and so much more is waiting for you to explore. Find a complete list of fall season events on our Events Calendar.
Explore The Preservation Orchard
A visit to Arbor Day Farm this time of year offers you the rare opportunity to explore the Preservation Orchard — a collection of apple varieties no longer commercially available. Heirloom apple tasting is available on fall weekends, as Nature Interpreters first show-and-tell about the Preservation Orchard itself, then slice and serve the rare fruits of its branches.
A few antique apple varieties worth noting:
- Claygate Pearmain: common in Victorian-era gardens, this heirloom apple has a nutty aroma and a potato-like appearance.
- Kandil Sinap: tall and cylindrical, this vintage apple originated in Turkey in the early 1800s. Crisp and juicy with a sweet and sour flavor.
- Arkansas Black — a medium-sized apple from the 1840s. Glossy, dark red skin almost turns black when stored.
Arbor Day Farm's Preservation Orchard is one of just a handful of orchards in the United States where these rare heirloom apple varieties can still be found. Access to all of Arbor Day Farm's orchards is included with regular Tree Adventure admission.
Dates of Interest This Fall Season
date September 1
Orchards Open for the Season Pick your own apples in the orchards; or shop the Apple House Market for pre-picked apples by the bag, bushel, or box.
date September 17--18 Applejack Festival - Download the PDF schedule
date September 24-25 Living History Weekend at Arbor Lodge: Wheels of Transportation
date October 1-2Tree Climbing Day at Tree Adventure, 10am-1pm; 2pm-6pm
date October 1-2 Living History Weekend at Arbor Lodge: Ethnic Entertainment
date October 8 Scout Day at the Tree Adventure, 10am -- 3pm
date October 9 Oktoberfest Celebration at Arbor Day Farm Historic Barns, 1-5pm
date October 8-9Living History Weekend at Arbor Lodge: Mountain Man Rendezvous Encampment, 11am-4pm
date October 15-16Living History Weekend at Arbor Lodge: Great American Pastimes, 11am-4pm
date October 16 Vintage Baseball at Arbor Lodge; games at 1:00 and 2:30 pm
date October 22-23 Living History Weekend at Arbor Lodge: Victorian Times, 11am-4pm
date October 29 Pumpkin Party at the Tree Adventure, 9am-5pm
date October 29-30 Living History Weekend at Arbor Lodge: Vintage Halloween, 11am-4pm